This week, Mackenzie Fogelson takes Mozzers through her 5-step process to devise marketing plan that can be effective across an entire business.
1. Goals – Set goals for to grow the entire business rather than just the online marketing. e.g. achieving ‘thought leader’ status, improving customer communication.
2. KPIs – Sit down with your client/team and decide what indicators will be used to measure progress towards the goals you’ve set. This is a really good opportunity to set clear expectations.
3. Strategy – develop a creative way to reach the goals you’ve set and measure your chosen KPIs. Mackenzie recommends making a detailed plan for the next 2-3 months for a business. While some companies like to use a 12 month strategy, the inflexible nature of this sometimes doesn’t allow for changing circumstances based developments. Also, this is the time to choose which tools will be used to execute the strategy. These could be digital such as SEO, PPC and email marketing, or also offline with conferences, offline advertising and community initiatives. The possibilities are endless.
4. Execution – This can often be the hard part. Make sure you consistently stay focussed on your plan. When unexpected opportunities arise, decide whether it’s worth deviating for your plan to take these, or if its something you could leave to include in your next 2-3 month plan.
5. Analysis – This step is crucial to understand what is and isn’t working in your plan so you can learn from it. Let the data guide where you will take your strategy.