Metrics that Matter
Cyrus reports on the somber reality of keyword rankings and the dawn of a new age of better metrics to report.
KW Ranking Deficiencies
- Data misses on 50-80% of traffic and long tails (what is the big picture)
- SERP features can muddle KW data
- Hummingbird changes the actual query and fails to reflect actual KW data
Better Metric Categories to Report
- Keyword Index – many SEO tools have them, captures long tails and tracks 1 group of related KWs. Provides a limited picture of a single block of KWs but with more relevant and accurate data.
- Reach – standard organic traffic combined with referral traffic and social traffic. The bigger picture details the efforts that are important to the client.
- Endorsements – links, mentions, local citations, press mentions and social authority. Equally valuable and related to reach but more importantly creates a Feedback loop for SEOs.
- KPI – business objectives and goals like conversions and assisted conversions. These detail how your efforts are going in relation to the big picture.
10 Statistics or Metrics to Start Reporting On
- Rank Indexes
- Organic Traffic
- Referral Traffic
- Social Traffic
- Total Traffic
- Classic Links
- Business Objectives